In 1938 Bernard Leach and his son David decided
to take on an apprentice to help with the development of their
new standard ware range. David popped in to the local school and
asked if there was anyone who would be intererested. A young William
Marshall put up his hand and fortunately for the studio pottery
world, he was accepted for a short trial period. He stayed for
nearly 40 years before leaving to set up his own pottery in nearby
Lelant where he worked on until he passed away iin 2007.
The pottery was packed with people at the exhibition
preview. They were not disappointed, there are some wonderful
pots which demonstrate the consummate skills of a master potter
who is remembered with great affection by all who knew him.